Tuesday 25 September 2012

Goodbye Summer - Hello TV

People are calling the Summer of 2012 Soggy Summer and I guess for most of us in the UK, that is pretty accurate.

But my memories of this Summer will be dominated by great music at Hard Rock Calling and Reading, finally owning my inner geek at Comic Con, Sport (who would have thunk it) at the Olympics and Paralympics and hanging out with good friends in and around London.



And apart from even Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun not being able to wash away the rain at Hyde Park, my memories of this Summer are filled with sunshine.  This may be my natural tendency to view the past, even the immediate past, with rose tinted glasses or because I was super lucky with the weather being good when I was out and about doing stuff.

It has been an amazing Summer. And now it's over ........

I am not going to deny the fact that I am a Summer person, I like the sun, I like the heat, I am not a big fan of rain, I like the snow as long as I don't need to go out in it and when it gets dark by 4pm and the temperature is in single digits, there's only one thing to do - get into your jogging bottoms and your favourite band / college sweatshirt, get under a blanket on your comfy sofa with a hot beverage of your choice and see what's on the box.

So here's my pick of the Autumn TV which means that 'staying in' is the new 'going out'.

True Blood (Season 5)

Let's pretend for a moment that the US have not been able to watch Season 5 of True Blood since June and rejoice in the fact that we are finally able to see it on this side of the pond.  We are one episode in and I think I would be justified in saying I think this series is going to be corker.

The power of the Authority (Yep - Authority Sucks!!) set against the cunning and tenuous trust between Bill and Eric, more focus on the next gen vampires including a very unexpected new addition to the fang gang.

You can watch the new series of True Blood on FX on Monday nights at 10pm

http://www.fxuk.com/shows/true-blood/videos/31919427/season-5-teaser


Merlin (Season 5)

Merlin has been getting darker with every series and I expect this is going to follow the trend with the characters becoming older and more complex - even Arthur maybe. 

Having said that, with all the graphic sex and violence of programmes like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead and True Blood, and yes - I know they are all on my list - I love the fact that Merlin is family friendly viewing, with comedy and lightness in amongst the drama and action.  And I hope they keep it that way.

Merlin starts on Saturday 6th October on BBC 1

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/merlin/22768/merlin-series-5-spoiler-free-launch-report


The Walking Dead (Season 3)

Admittedly, I was close to losing interest about three quarters of the way through Season 2 of TWD.  Not much seemed to be happening, character deveopment was at a standstill and they seemed to be getting bored of each other and their predicament. Understandable but not great television.

A friend of mine told me that this was loyal to the comic book which would have pages of 'not much' followed by zombie-blowing action.  They did redeem themselves by picking up the pace and one hell of a series finale.



For anyone who has seen the extended Comic Con trailer, you know exactly what to expect.  For those who have not - don't do it. It leaves very few surprises. Having said that, I am looking forward to some new faces to mix it up a bit.

The Walking Dead starts on Friday 19th October at 10pm on FX

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/09/fx-uk-sets-premiere-date-for-the-walking-dead-season-3/


Homeland (Season 2)

The trailer for the new season of Homeland left me on the edge of my seat with my heart racing. A dark haired Carrie, a conflicted Brody and all the politics and intrigue look set to make this an electric season.

I don't want to give anything away in case you have not seen the first season - in which case , where have you been.  And hurry up and watch it.

The new season of Homeland starts Sunday 7 October 2012 at 9pm on Channel 4

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s188/homeland/news/a407931/homeland-season-two-uk-premiere-date-confirmed.html


Greys Anatomy (Season 9)

Rumour has it that the new season of Greys Anatomy is starting in October on Sky Living but I cannot find confirmation of the date.

It will be interesting to see where they take this season after the shocker of the finale in season 8 but I for one am very excited about where the new season is going to go. 

Greys is my guilty pleasure, my favourite medical drama and not just due to the very good looking doctors and impossible medical cases that are successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment